Thursday, June 11, 2009

I made goat cheese!!!

goat cheese

I finally took some of the extra milk I'm getting and made some cheese from it.. Haven't tasted it yet.. Its supposed to sit in the fridge a couple of days before you eat it.. This is the recipe I used.. I hope I did it right because it didn't have any measurements for the vinegar or the salt, and I only had regular iodized salt.. I really hope it turns out ok.. If anybody has any other thoughts or suggestions or different recipes, I'm all ears..

2 comments:

Gypsy Butterfly said...

Hello,
I'm sure your goat cheese is going to turn out great!
Your so lucky you have some farm animals! I think it's great!!!!!
Have a nice evening,
Lydia

Nona said...

I dont have a goat any longer but still long for the home made cheeses,
a very simple recipe like the one you used yet very quick and simply awesome no waiting in fridge either for days..Put milk into a microwave safe bowl i use a gallon at a time yields a pound of cheese..set for 20 minutes on high power..if you dont have a thermometer it is just before boiling..add very slowly White vinegar notjhing fancy or youll ruin the flavor..start with 1/4 cup slowly pouring till u see curdling going on white globs and a yellow whey seoperating if you see milky white liquid and curdles pour more vinegar slowly and slow stir it I max 3/4 c vinegar ..
then you drain in cheese cloth run warm water over curds to remove vinegar but not into whey you drained..
I like the flavor and dont ALWAYS rinse it...ok now you can press it in the colander cheese cloth for 20-45 minutes knead it with some sea salt keep kneading it then mix in some chopped cilantro, hot peppers chopped and sundried tomatoes YUMMY good...shape into a log fridge till chill then slice it with crackers in salads or as is sooooooo good