Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Talking About the Property and My Plans

So we sent a bunch of stuff to the lender today so he can get our mortgage loan started. (squeeeeeel!) Won't be much longer now and we'll be getting into the nitty gritty of things here. Like the land being surveyed, etc. Speaking of the land, I thought I would post some pics of it here. They're not the best pics since they're just screenshots from google maps. But next time we're at the property I'll be sure to get actual pics. If you're extra good, I might even get video.

This is the overhead of the property. Nothing has been done to this land except it's been cleared. I.E, no trees. Our property is from the road all the way almost to the pond. The pond isn't ours. But you never know what the future might bring. The trees on either side of the property are as far as it goes in those directions. The big line going through the property is a runoff from the pond. Some people might see that as a bad thing. I see it as a decorative water feature.


This is a street view image. It's taken from the road and right about in front of were the runoff meets the road.


Um, I think that's all I can say about it now until the building and such starts. I got some Christmas money from my parents and inlaws. I'll be saving that for an IBC tote, some 55 gallon plastic drums and some soil. So my aquaponics project will be getting off to a quick start once we move in. 

I also want to build some raised beds but soil might get expensive quick. So I'm thinking of filling them with free horse manure and just planting straight into it. A friend of mine does that and she's had horses almost her whole life so I trust her opinion. I can always mix in a couple bags of cheap garden soil if things don't seem to be going well.

I'm kind of torn about if I want to buy the IBC tote right away or not. There's a camera I'd really like to get that's about the same price. It's got HD video, it's waterproof(fishy cam anyone?) and you can stream over wifi. The only thing I don't like is that the audio isn't the best. But from what I've on youtube, it's best to record the audio separately anyway.  Especially if you're not going to be close to the camera the whole time.

Do I NEED this camera right now? No. Will I be able to do some really neat things in the future with it? Hell yeah! But the question of, is the IBC tote more important or is the camera? I can use the camera now for videos and pics. But I still have my tablet and regular camera that I can do those with. So the IBC tote might be better for my aquaponics. But then again, I can get by just fine by using the 55 gallon barrels to start out with.

What do you guys think? Let me know in the comments below or comment on my google plus page. Nevermind. I found the camera on ebay for a pretty good price so I went ahead and got it. And it will leave me plenty of money to get several of those 55 gallon barrels. I'm a sucker for plants and animals. But I'm also a sucker for gadgets.

No comments: