Friday, March 30, 2018

More Weedeating, Muscovy Bully and Seedlings

Did some weedeating today. Didn't get any pictures of the before or after. Only got through two tanks of gas before I was just too worn out to do anymore. But I think I made some good progress.

I'm going to need to do something about my muscovy drake pretty soon here. At first he was only bullying my big black rooster and I thought that maybe he saw the rooster as a rival. But now he's bullying the other chickens also. I've got several hens that are missing feathers.

But I don't know what to do with him and the two muscovy hens. I don't really have any other place to put them right now. They have to have some sort of shelter at night or they'll get attacked. I know this because I lost several other ducks to predators last year. But the only places for them are the chicken coop or the chicken tractor and both of those are occupied right now.

My only other option is to build another tractor. And that's just going to cost more money. I eventually want to get all of the chickens and ducks out on pasture anyway so I can the coop as a brooder and for the bitties. But I didn't want to have to build another tractor so soon. I've got fencing to do! Oh well. I guess the fencing will have to wait a little while.

In other news, the paper towel/baggie seed sprouting method has worked really well for the borage and sage seeds. I don't know why I had such a poor sprouting rate in the toilet paper rolls because these seeds are obviously viable.

Borage seedlings.


Sage seedlings.



Transplanted those into the toilet paper rolls and watered them in real well. We'll see how many make it. Just because they're sprouted doesn't mean it's a guarantee they'll survive being planted. I was as gentle as I could be. But we'll see.

K, it's late and I gotta get up at 3:30 am to take the oldest to work. Take care all and have a good night.

No comments: