Thursday, July 5, 2018

Building A Bridge

So I've been busy today. First, I got up pretty early to start getting supplies from the hardware store. I got four 4x4x8s, twenty-four 2x4x8s and eight 6ft long u-posts. I had to make several trips since all I have is my car to transport things. I can only fit 3 of the 4x4s or 9 of the 2x4s at a time. It took most of my morning just to get everything.


The rest of my day I spent cutting the 2x4s into 4ft lengths. And since a 2x4x8 isn't really 8 ft, I ended up with some pieces that were slightly shorter than 4 ft. So I staggered them with the 4 ft pieces. Actually looks nice too.


I used brackets to connect two of the 4x4s to create a 16 ft length. I put one of these brackets on each corner of the 4x4s. Like in the picture but on the other side also. Then I had my son help me to place the new 16 ft sections across the runoff.


Finally I got most of the 2x4 slats in place but not screwed down. The only ones that I did screw in are the first and the last ones. I also pounded the u-posts beside and screwed them into the side of the bridge to act as legs. Yes, there is a spot that is missing some of the 2x4s. I miscalculated how many 2x4s I needed so now I need to get a couple more.



I know this picture isn't the best in the world but I do plan on doing a video tomorrow to give a better look at it. During the daytime. Oh, and I'm being told that I should give my husband some credit for the design of the bridge. I was able to bounce ideas off of him to figure out what I would need and how long things needed to be. I am mostly pleased with how it turned out. It's nice and sturdy and will keep me from slipping in the mud or having to wear muck boots just to feed the sheep. I only wish that I had made it longer because it fits across the runoff, but not quite as far as I envisioned it would. But I suppose I can always add more onto it later.

Anyway, it's really late and I need to get to sleep. I want to do another early morning but I'm not sure if that's going to happen since it's so late now. I need my 8 hours or more of sleep so I'm not completely dragging through the day.

So you should go to bed too. What are you doing up so late? Go to bed! Have a good night and take care.

No comments: