Saturday, July 14, 2018

Getting Things Done A Little At A Time

So I've been busy. Sort of. Getting things done as I can with it being so hot outside. I've been getting things done as early as I can and then hiding inside for most of the day.

But I've expanded the sheep/pig area again. I've had the sheep on our side of the runoff ever since I made the bridge. We got them to go across it pretty easy once they realized it wouldn't bite them. Took some convincing though. But the past few days have been mixed with yard work and appointments of different kinds.

Hubby has had appointments for his back. Physical therapy appointments, orthopedic appointments and today he had an MRI so they can see better what is going on with his back. He's been home for over a month now and his back isn't getting better as quickly as they think it should. So an MRI was in order.

Daughter also had an appointment with her diabetes dr. Diabetics are supposed to see their dr every 3 months. Or, young diabetics at least. Not sure about adults.

Then I had a job interview yesterday at the local big box hardware store. Not sure if it went well or not. Most jobs will ask you things like 'Why do you want to work here?' or 'Where do you see yourself in 5 years?'. These guys asked me about what kinds of situations I've been in for past jobs. Like 'Have you ever had to deal with such and such situtation?'. I answered as best as I could. I haven't had a job in 6-8 years so it's all kind of a distant memory. But I think I did ok. I just wasn't prepared for those kinds of questions.

Anyway, here's a little view of the sheep in a part of their new area. I bought a whole new role of wire for this area so it's a pretty good size. But they're already happily munching away. You can also see that they're also right next to the poultry netting but just a touch with their noses and they'll learn to leave that alone. Boris, our bore, was already in the new area even before the sheep were.


They also now have access to their area across the runoff too. Sort of. I'm kneeling about a couple of feet away from the runoff to take this picture. As you can see, there is wire running across but only about a foot off the ground. This is low enough for the sheep to step over but high enough to be face or leg level for the pigs. The top wire to the right is a little higher than face level with the sheep.



I've done this for a couple of reasons. For one, I don't want the pigs going across the runoff because I'm afraid they'll go IN the runoff. For two, this gives the sheep an area away from the pigs since the pigs (right now, just Boris) still bully them. But mostly just at feeding time. And three, I'm hoping to feed the sheep on the other side of the runoff because Boris has learned how to get his front legs into the sheep feeder to eat their food and push them away. So I need a place to feed them that he can't get to.

But first to teach the sheep to step over these low wires to get to the other side.

And finally, a bonus picture of the chickens hanging out on top of the tractor. It mostly seems to be the wyandottes that do it. But I think I'll be checking wings soon to make sure everybody is clipped to prevent them from trying to fly out.


Anyway, it's getting late and I'm tired. Take care all and have a good night.

No comments: